What are Termites?
Termites are social insects that live together in large colonies. Subterranean termites nest in the ground and feed on materials made of cellulose. In nature, they are beneficial and help to break down decaying wood and other organic materials. In contrast, when inside of homes, termites are highly destructive and cause more than $5 billion dollars in damage in the U.S. each year, which is why – if you suspect a termite infestation in your Richmond, Newport News, or Williamsburg home – you shouldn’t wait to call a termite pest control and treatment company.
Termite control can be difficult, but there are some things you should know about how termites’ behavior can lead to big headaches for you and your home. They divide themselves into three different groups, or castes: workers, soldiers, and reproductive. A termite’s appearance is dependent on its specific caste. Workers, which make up most of the colony, are blind and have soft, cream colored bodies. Soldiers have elongated, yellowish-colored heads and large jaws that they use to defend the colony. Reproductive members (kings and queens) have dark-colored bodies and are the only members of the colony that have wings. If you see any types of termites in your home, then don’t hesitate to call us for a free inspection. We are one of the leading termite pest control and treatment companies in the greater Richmond, Newport News, and Williamsburg areas, and if you are not 100% satisfied with our work, we will return for free.
Are Termites Dangerous
Subterranean termites don’t pose a direct threat to people. In fact, rarely do we encounter these ground-nesting insects. However, they are extremely dangerous to properties, which is why you should leave pest control and treatment to a company that has specialized processes and equipment.
Termites’ feeding habits cause extensive and expensive damage inside of a structure. Additionally, termite damage is not covered by most homeowners’ insurance, meaning that repair costs tend to come out of pocket. Worker termites enter homes from the ground unseen and work silently for months or even years. They are generally only discovered after doing serious damage to major structures. The only other time you may realize termites are near your property is after witnessing a termite swarm. These swarms occur when large numbers of winged reproductive members emerge from a mature colony to mate and create another colony, usually during the day. If you ever see a termite swarm on your property, call a termite pest control and treatment company immediately.
Why Do I have a Termite Problem?
Termites are attracted to moist soil and water-damaged wood. Leaky pipes, fixtures, and clogged gutters allow water to seep into the walls of a home and create significant moisture problems. Subterranean termites often find their way into homes and other structures through deck posts, door frames, wood shingles, porch steps or supports, and other wooden objects that meet the ground. It is important to note that termites may be nesting on your property or a neighboring property. A termite pest control and treatment company can inspect your property to determine if a problem exists; Eco Pest Control offers free inspections throughout the greater Richmond, Newport News, and Williamsburg areas.
Where Will I Find Termites?
Termites remain active year-round. Workers continually tunnel through wooden structures gathering food to feed their large colony. Subterranean termites do not nest in the wooden structures they are feeding on. Termites typically invade wood that has been previously damaged by water and is in hard-to-reach areas of a home. These insects often feed on structural wood found above ceilings, below floors, and behind walls. Though they are initially attracted to water-damaged wood, termites will begin to feed on sound wood as well as non-wooden items over time. Typically, you will not see termites until it is too late to prevent extensive damage to your home, which is all the more reason you should rely on a professional termite pest control and treatment company.
Should I Rely On a Termite Pest Control and Treatment Company?
To get rid of termites the easy way, partner with an experienced, local termite pest control and treatment company. At Eco Pest Control, we’re a family-owned and locally operated company that has more than 15 years of experience keeping properties in greater Richmond, Newport News, and Williamsburg free of pests, including termites.
Our registered and certified professionals provide highly effective pest control and treatment services that work to control termite populations and minimize their chance of return, including our comprehensive termite control and prevention program. For residential and commercial property owners who are interested in learning more about our company’s exceptional, 100% guaranteed termite pest control and treatment solutions or would like to request an inspection or schedule a termite control service, contact Eco Pest Control today!
How to Prevent Termites
In addition to investing in professional termite control, you can help keep destructive termites out of your home or business with the help of the following 11 prevention tips:
- Prevent wooden structures from becoming water damaged by properly treating the wood.
- Remove fallen trees, tree limbs, leaf piles, and similar debris from your property.
- Leave an 18- to 20-inch barrier between the foundation and any mulch or soil.
- Fix leaky pipes or fixtures in or around your home or business.
- Seal up entry points in the foundation of your property.
- Limit wood to soil contact on your property and around your property.
- Reduce humidity levels in your home or business by using dehumidifiers.
- Remove structural wood from your property that has been damaged by water.
- Store all firewood off the ground and away from the exterior of your property.
- Place weather-stripping around windows and doors and maintain gutters to stop water from seeping into your home.
- Schedule a professional termite inspection with Eco Pest Control.
Why Eco Pest Control is the Leading Termite Treatment Company in the Richmond, Newport News, and Williamsburg Areas
Think you have a termite problem? Rely on Eco Pest Control, the leading termite treatment company in the greater Richmond, Newport News, and Williamsburg areas. We give you four reasons why you can trust us to take care of your termite problem.
- Our company provides staff with extensive training in the identification and treatment of termites that enables them to solve your most basic termite pest control problems.
- We invest in ongoing education in the treatment and control of termites to ensure we stay abreast of industry advances.
- We offer free termite inspections, which comes with a complimentary pest control and treatment plan.
- We offer a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee. If you are not fully satisfied, we will come back for free. What else would you expect from the leading termite pest control and treatment company?
- Environmental Protection Agency: Termites: How to Identify and Control Them
- United States Department of Agriculture: Subterranean Termites – Their Prevention and Control in Buildings
- National Pesticide Information Center: Termites